antedating "hobo" 1885

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 25 19:08:27 UTC 2009

At 10:11 AM -0400 5/25/09, Mark Mandel wrote:
>"color" and "honor" do not follow the pattern <CoCo>.
>
>m a m

No, and the ones that do all stem from stemless prefixes or from
non-nativized loanwords, I venture to guess.  "Mono" is the clearest
example, pronounced /mano/ (in the U.S.) whether it's short for
"mononucleosis", "monaural"/"monophonic" (stereo vs. mono), or
anything else.  And while (as the OED confirms) the slur "homo" is
always /homo/, even if uttered by a British slurrer who would
pronounce the full label with an initial /ha-/, the Latin _homo
(sapiens)_ may be either /hamo/ or /homo/.

LH