antedating "hobo" 1885

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 26 18:23:00 UTC 2009

At 12:10 PM -0400 5/26/09, Mark Mandel wrote:
>At 11:37 PM -0400 5/25/09, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
>>Laurence Horn wrote:
>>>Does "boyo" rhyme with "yoyo"?
>
>>Hmm...For me, that's not <CoCo> but <C [diphthong]o>
>
>Sorry; I've been using angle brackets for written forms. <CoCo> means
>a word written as any consonant letter + "o" + a consonant letter +
>"o", and I'm looking from the perspective of a reader of the cite.

Well, technically, I would argue that in <boyo>, the <y> is not a
"consonant letter", but a vowel letter, which is why I invoked the
diphthonginess factor.  (Weren't we always taught that the vowels are
"a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y"?  And isn't this one of those times?
Or is that just for "cycle", "by", and such?)  So if the boyo is
wearing a diphthong, he's got only one consonant letter to his name.

LH