the dissappearing "awe" sound (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 26 22:45:11 UTC 2009

Every dictionary dictates, Bill.  Shall we through them out too.

If you should be in charge of a facility where the words "off/on" are spoken I would tell you that you should inform those men/women to say those vowels differently for safety reasons.

I personally would like the vowel "awe" saved.  It is quickly dissappearing.  My wife is now dropping them.  My cousin has changed the name of her child, Shawn ~Shaun to Shon ~Shaan.

I don't like the awe-dropping change.  It creates homonyms and misunderstandings.  I recently heard "See the hock." I said "What?"  Oh the "hawk."

I blame it on "whole language" teaching.  Teachers were forbidden FORBIDDEN to say teach kids that letters stand for sounds.  So kids did not learn that the "aw" and "au" text strings stood for a sound.  Accents hold sway.

I've been around a long time now.  The one great change in English pronunciation in the media is awe-dropping.  My judgment is that it corrupts the alphabetical principle, creates homonyms, and misunderstanding.  There's nothing good in it.

You defend the freedom of those who want to arbitrarily and capriciously say words as they please.  It's freedom, and freedom's a good thing.  But so is mine when I behold something I think is not good and try to change it.

see truespel.com