the dissappearing "awe" sound (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 27 14:10:36 UTC 2009

Matt,

True.  USA Media dialect is a minority dialect in the world, just one of many, just like you and I each are one of many.  But in USA most folks would say that "on" ~aan rhymes with "Don", even though sometimes it rhymes with "gone" ~gaun (awe-droppers would say ~gaan).  However, about 70% of the native English speakers are in USA.  If only half said ~aan, then that would be 35% which is greater than if all the remaining 25% said ~aun.

I've read that British RP is spoken by only 15% of Brits, and that the UK makes up about 16% of all native speakers.  That would be only 2.4% of all native speakers.  A minority I think.

So "on" as ~aan, which does happen to be the way I say it.  Incredibly the m-w.com site give the ~aun notion as primary and ~aan as secondary although the speaker says ~aan.  I'm getting a bit disappointed with m-w.com.  It stands for Mirriam-Webster, and Webster stands for American English historically.  Thefreedictionary.com says ~aan and shows ~aan before ~aun.  Both dictionaries use different notation of course with goofy diacritics of course.  Truespel stabilizes this phonetic spelling mess.

see truespel.com