"People of color" was; Re: Whom Hispanics call "Hispanic" -- ornot

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed May 27 21:05:32 UTC 2009

This reminds me of a brief TV episode a while back.  A burglary has just occurred, the burglars have run away, and the police show up.  They ask an African-American man who witnessed the burglary "Were they colored?"
His answer: "Yeah, white."

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

Original message from Barbara Need,  Wed 5/27/2009 3:33 PM:

On the news last night (ABC or its local affiliate) they ran a clip in
which Sotomayor used the term "people of color", and, as far as I
could tell, she was including herself in that category. Now,
recognizing that many Hispanics are of mixed African and European
ancestry (not to mention Native American), I was a little taken aback.
Is it usual to include Hispanics among "people of color"?

Barbara

Barbara Need
Chicago

<snip>