"People of color" was; Re: Whom Hispanics call "Hispanic" -- or not

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 27 22:25:18 UTC 2009

Perhaps my perception is colored by my background, but I've always
considered "people of color" to be a phrase empty of content, meaning
only what its writer/speaker intends it to mean. Some examples:

Anyone of any amount of African ancestry of any kind: any American of
known, admitted, or claimed sub-Saharan ancestry; Berbers, Tuaregs,
"Cape Coloreds," Nubians, (ancient) Egyptians, Sudanese "Arabs,"
Somalis, Ethiopians, Thurgood Marshall, Johnny Mathis, Horace Silver,
Cape Verdeans, some Native Americans, such as Lumbee, Mashpee, some
Cherokee, "Black Caribs," though other, "full-blooded"
Native-Americans  refuse to recognize Afro-Cherokees and other
African-Native American mixes as "native." OTOH, the Tutsi, formerly
known as the "Watusi," have been argued to be white. Wicked weird!

Anyone white, but not white enough: Turks, Arabs, Armenians, Gypsies,
members of various European-Spanish ethnic groups - *most*
Portuguese-Americans that I know personally know are, IMO, white, but
*all* of the Portuguese-Portuguese that I know personally - ca. ten
people - are dark enough to be black, being no paler in skin tone than
my mother. Wicked weird! Latin- and Caribbean-Americans.

Americans of European ancestry, who, for whatever reason, have gone
black and never gone back: Johnny Otis, Mezz Mezzrow.

Etc.,etc.

-Wilson
–––
-----