"report" 'someone reporting to a manager'

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu May 28 22:23:29 UTC 2009

        I too would have guessed that this usage isn't recent, but it
looks like I would have been wrong.  It's been prevalent only since the
late 1980s, which is recent enough that the recency illusion seems to be
at work.

        Using the allnewsplus database on Westlaw, I searched for
examples of "direct report" (since searching for "report" by itself
would be a fool's errand).  The earliest I found was from 1986, when the
collocation "direct report" was used 23 times, and 2 of those uses
referred to an employee who reports to his or her supervisor.  I should
explain that by "collocation" I mean any instance of "direct report"
appearing in a news report, even where one sentence ends with "direct"
and the next begins with "report."  Also, I'm sure that there are
isolated examples of this usage that are at least several years older; I
was checking to see when the term began to find widespread usage.
Finding the earliest use would be useful, it just wasn't what I was
doing.

        For 1988, there were 8 examples of the collocation, 2 in this
sense.  It began to take off the next year:  12/17 in 1989, and 9 out of
a sample of 20 in 1990 (with 39 uses of the collocation in total).  By
1995, there were 103 uses of the collocation, with 18 out of a sample of
20 using this sense.  (The increasing number of uses by year is partly a
function of Westlaw and its tendency not to include older source
materials.)

        So "direct report," to mean an employee who reports directly to
the person in question, began to be used in the mid-1980s and became the
dominant use in 1989, and by the mid-1990s it was so widely used that it
swamped all other meanings.

John Baker