IPA in spreadsheets (was: antedating "hobo" 1885)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 29 02:13:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Nathan Sanders
<Nathan.Sanders at williams.edu> wrote:
> On May 28, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>
>> Of course truespel can do all these things without the need for
>> special fonts.
>
> Nonsense. Â Truespel needs a font that uses glyphs that match the
> English alphabet (and has an ASCII encoding). Â Truespel as you know it
> would be unrecognizable if rendered with a font like Symbol or
> Windgings.

Though I feel strange defending Mr. Z., he said "without the need for
*special* fonts. Arguably, a Unicode font that supports all the IPA
characters is "special" in contrast to a font that need only support
ASCII.

--
Mark Mandel