"stuck on stupid"

Darla Wells lethe9 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 29 17:49:00 UTC 2009

No real evidence but it sounds like something Larry the Cable Guy or one of
his friends would say. I am thinking of the guy who says "Here's your sign,"
but can't remember his name. Anyway, they are all usually on the Comedy
Channel with Jeff Foxworthy.
Darla Wells

2009/5/29 Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu>

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "stuck on stupid"

> On May 29, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Jon Lighter wrote:
> >
> > There are nearly a zillion raw googlits for this phrase, which I
> > only recall
> > hearing within the past five years.
> >
> > The earliest ex. I can find is typical:
> >
> > 1995 Usenet: news.users.question (Dec. 31): And if I am stuck on
> > stupid
> > that's ok it's not all that bad but is unhandy and you did waste
> > your time
> > reading this. Happy 1996 to all.
> >
> > You know, like a gauge of some kind. A brain gauge.
>
> there's a Stuck on Stupid webpage (stuckon-stupid.com), which says
> it's about "Exposing the low wattage of the liberal mindset".
>
> Google Books has a pile of books with this expression in it from 2000
> on, but only two before that year (1998 and 1992).  the 1992 item is
> Kevin Coyne's A Day in the Night of America, and the cite is on p. 280).
>
> so it seems to be genuinely recent.
>
> it has the feel of a catchphrase that started as a quotation.  anyone
> have evidence on the matter?
>
> arnold

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning. -Catherine Aird