"report" 'someone reporting to a manager'

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri May 29 19:58:42 UTC 2009

        Google Books seems to have several examples from the 1970s in
personnel management texts and trade publications.  There are the usual
difficulties with dating, etc., so I don't bother reproducing them here.

        In the 1980s, we start to see mainstream business news sources
using this meaning.  The earliest I see is in an advertising supplement
in Forbes, 11/21/1983:  "I have been able to eliminate unnecessary
meetings and telephone tag with my direct reports. I simply send
electronic mail messages to several people at once and receive instant
answers throughout the work day."

        It appears in edited text (as opposed to an advertising
supplement) in American Banker, 7/30/1984:  "You'll be a better manager
if you instill this confidence and offer of assistance with your own
direct reports."  (American Banker technically is a trade publication,
for banking, but it's a mainstream business news source in that it is
not particularly focused on personnel/human resources.)

        I first see it in a general newspaper (albeit in the business
section) in the Chicago Tribune, 3/24/1986:  "Make these simple
questions the first element in your formal appraisal system: 'What have
you changed? How much have you changed? What are you planning to change
next? What are your direct reports changing?'"

        I don't see much extended use for other relationships.

John Baker