Q: "jewgaged"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Nov 3 00:53:09 UTC 2009

--

My (mere!) guess would be that the "jew-" here is basically just "Jew".
I speculate "Jew-gauge" might have meant "short-gauge", by analogy with

This is only a "least-implausible (IMHO) conjecture" based on very
slight information. Now if somebody can come up with another "jewgage"
citation, we'll have twice as much information, I guess ....

"Short gauge" = "short measure" BTW apparently was used particularly
with respect to casks of wine or liquor which didn't contain the proper
volume.

--

--

According to this (mere!) speculation, the noun (= "jewlarky",
"jewlarker" in  DARE etc., = "girlfriend" or so) would presumably have

There is an example of "jewlark" [noun] (maybe meaning "loose woman",
but maybe simply "girlie" or so) from 1910 at G-books: <<"Oh, lewd
people and such. A jewlark was livin' openly with a man up the river ....">>

"Jewlark" [noun] = "sweetheart" appears in a G-books snippet from an old
ADS publication too.

-- Doug Wilson