Most Notable Quotations of 2009

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 3 02:41:29 UTC 2009

I'm starting to think about my list for the Associated Press of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By "notable" I mean "important" or "famous" or "particularly revealing of the spirit of our times" rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable.

Two that seem to stand out are Mark Sanford's spokesman saying "The governor is hiking the Appalachian trail" and Joe Wilson's calling out "You lie!"

I would welcome suggestions of additional quotes from 2009, particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.

Fred Shapiro