Most Notable Quotations of 2009

Tue Nov 3 07:18:27 UTC 2009

Fred Shapiro said:
> I'm starting to think about my list for the Associated Press of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By "notable" I mean "important" or "famous" or "particularly revealing of the spirit of our times" rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable.

"No matter what [Michael] wanted, someone would give it to him," he
said. "The very rich and the very poor and the very famous get the
worst medical care."

Michael Jackson's doctor Arnold Klein.
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b133121_onetime_sperm_donor_dr_klein_not_mjs.html

"And the creepy stuff was, that I have had sex with women who work for
me on this show."

David Letterman speaks on his television show.
http://nymag.com/arts/tv/features/60314/

"This is an extreme example of uncontrollable greed which should be
investigated."

Legal exhibit released in 2009: an anonymous letter sent to the SEC in
2006 requesting an investigation of the investment firm Bernard L.
Madoff.
Citation: Madoff: SEC Agent Was a 'Blowhard' by Sarah N. Lynch,
October 31, 2009, Wall Street Journal.

"I had to hold my nose and stop those firms from failing."

Ben Bernanke, US Federal Reserve chairman on the bail-out.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/business/8170577.stm

"The Democratic Party wants to spend more than we can afford; the
Republican Party tends to want to cut taxes more than we can afford.
So we are stuck."

Senator Evan Bayh on the deficit.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/us/politics/01deficit.html