Knickers (was: They're as self-centered as we are!)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 4 17:34:17 UTC 2009

FWIW, IMO. "underpants" does seem more feminine because, IME, it's
often used as a pswaydo-euphemism for "panties," which ceased being
used as a term for masculine clothing with the demise of the
pantywaist. In the print medium, seem like to me, "briefs" is used
about equally often for both men's underwear and women's underwear.
Except for so-called "boy shorts," "shorts" is masculine-only, WRT
underwear. As a term for outerwear, the word swings both ways.

-Wilson

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Knickers (was: They're as self-centered as we are!)
>
> Here in America, does "underpants" seem more feminine than "underwear" or "shorts" or "briefs"?
>
> --Charlie

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain