% of English words from Latin and Greek

Stephen Gmail sehughes80 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 4 19:39:05 UTC 2009

This is digging up very old and unreliable memories, but I believe I
read at some point that about 50 percent of English vocabulary was
Latinate in origin (including all those French words the Normans
introduced) and 45 percent Anglo-Saxon in origin, while only about 5
percent came from third languages. Although the Anglo-Saxon words were
older and were very hard to replace with later Latinate/French words,
the latter normally taking more nuanced meanings rather than directly
replacing the Anglo-Saxon word, the greater Latinate percentage was
explained by the greater ease of forming new words by recombining
other words and particles. Many – most? – Greek words would have
been included in the Latinate bunch, I think, having been filtered
through Latin before reaching English, but I'm guessing here. I don't
know if the old Norse, Dutch, and modern German words English absorbed
would have been included in the Anglo-Saxon group, but I imagine they
would. That would leave languages like Yiddish (only a Germanic half-
brother), Hindi, Tahitian, the Native American languages, etc., to
make up the remaining 5 percent.

Best,

Stephen Hughes

El 04/11/2009, a las 0:04, Wilson Gray escribió:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: % of English words from Latin and Greek
>
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Margaret Lee <mlee303 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Margaret Lee <mlee303 at YAHOO.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: % of English words from Latin and Greek
>>
>> If I recall correctly, I once read=A0that about 60 percent of
>> English words=
>> come from Latin, and about 20 percent from Greek.=A0Many years ago,
>> I used=
>> to teach a course called Vocabulary Development, and I think this
>> was in o=
>> ne of the course textbooks at the time.=20
>> =A0
>> Margaret Lee

>> Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
>> Adjunct Professor of English & Linguistics
>> Department of English
>> Hampton University=20
>> Hampton, VA 23668
>> 757-727-5769(voice);757-727-5084(fax)