FYI: linguistics in the news: case of the missing "t"

Thu Nov 5 18:22:20 UTC 2009

The subject of dropped final "t"s is a good lead-in to some questions I've had for some time:

e.g., Colbert Gifte Shoppe

To what extent were these final "e"s really used in "Olde" English (acknowledging that spellings were most entirely standardized)?  Or are they basically a modern affectation?

If they were really used extensively in writing, is there any evidence indicating that in the spoken language the final consonant was more sharply or clearly pronounced than in modern English - does the final "e" in the "olde" style indicate the speakers put a distinct "t" at the end, with a clear separation between the "t" and the "s" in "gifte shoppe"?  (Taking it to an extreme would result in something like Burns' Scots dialect: "O wad some pow'r the giftie gi' us".)

James D. SMITH               |If history teaches anything
South SLC, UT                |it is that we will be sued
jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com   |whether we act quickly and
                                    decisively