slurs (was: Re: camel-toe)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 5 18:02:35 UTC 2009

At 1:42 PM -0500 11/5/09, Wilson Gray wrote:
>To the best of my knowledge, "Chinaman" has *always* been right up (or
>down) there with "niggerboy," and "Jewboy." I wonder why "Frenchman"
>or <har! har!> "German" doesn't fit into this class.

Some say the country designation ethnonyms are always derogatory
(e.g. Chinaman) while the adjectivally derived ones (e.g. Frenchman,
Englishman) aren't (necessarily) derogatory.  So by that reasoning,
"Englandman" and "Franceman" would be as insulting as "Chinaman".
Not that big a sample size.

>I read somewhere or other that "chink" was originally "Ching," a clip
>of "Ching-chong Chinaman." The funnies once featured a parody of
>Confucius named "Ching-Chong." According to a long-ago sports-section
>article about a Winter Olympics held somewhere in Sweden, the Swedes
>cheered on a winning (Red-)Chinese team by chanting (I no longer
>recall the exact spelling) "Kjipp-kjopp Kjinamann." The writer of the
>article noted that this phrase, which sounds like "Chip-chop
>Cheenamon" (according to the writer) is (was? I'm dredging up another
>memory probably  more than a quarter-century old, as is so often my
>wont) otherwise used in Sweden as a racial slur.
>
>-Wilson

All the sources say is "prob. alternation of 'Chinese'".

LH