Judaize

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Nov 9 19:48:16 UTC 2009

I'm surprised nobody else has responded to this, but the origin of the /i/ (tense high front vowel) pronunciation seems to me to be at least in part by analogy with 'Judaism', which I, and many others pronounce
[dZudiIzm], especially, as Mark notes, when the relevant syllable is unstressed.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)