Midland (was "anymore" = "not previously but now")

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 15 06:33:33 UTC 2009

Thanks, Gordon!

As coincidence would have it, I have a very good friend from Erie. He
introduced me to such forms as, e.g. "The clothes need washed." My
wife tries to avoid using these, but she never notices when *I* use
them.

-Wilson

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Gordon, Matthew J.
<GordonMJ at missouri.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Gordon, Matthew J." <GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Midland (was "anymore" = "not previously but now")
>
> In traditional dialectology (e.g. Kurath) the NE corner of PA (including Scranton) was part of the Northern dialect region and more recently Labov's Atlas of North American English finds it still to be. Interestingly, on the other end of the state, Erie PA seems to switching its regional allegiance from Northern to Midland.
>
> - Matt Gordon

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain