What to call what Rush Limbaugh does

James A. Landau <JJJRLandau@netscape.com> JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Wed Nov 18 13:39:10 UTC 2009

The word that fibers on this thread are reaching for and mostly not getting is "demagoguery".

Please note that "demagogue/demagoguery" is a value judgment, as one person's demagogue is another person's prophet.

I can't really deliver an opinion, as I have never listend to Limbaugh---all radios in the Landau household are hard-wired to Listener-Supported Public Radio.

I should also point out that this thread is badly mis-directed.  What is important about a demagogue is not what s/he says or how s/he says it but rather how many followers s/he.  In the case of Limbaugh, from what I've heard he has enough followers to swing a close election.  All politically correct people should therefore be asking, "How can we reach out to these Limbaugh followers and get them to vote the way they should?"

overheard last night:

"a full-pledged member"
"he was threatened with foreclosure, but he shaved his house"

    - James A. Landau