Majuscules and minuscules

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 19 02:53:06 UTC 2009

Thanks, Mark, and especially for replying to my facetious
questions.  And forgive me for feeble humor below.  It's my way of
relieving the tension arising from reading second proofs of a journal
article of mine.

At 11/18/2009 08:53 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> > Mark, questions, the first few serious:
> > Does "name" mean place or thing as well as person?
>
>Yes, the namer dot is used for all proper names. If I can find my copy
>of _Androcles and the Lion_ I'll check for non-personal names, but the
>descriptions in Omniglot (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/shavian.htm)
>and Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavian) both say "proper
>names".

I wasn't sure whether "proper names" in Wikipedia = "proper nouns".

> > How does one know when a multi-word "name" ends, or is each word of
> > it preceded by the centered dot?  (And including words of a name,
> > such as of a book, that would otherwise not be capitalized -- e.g.
> > House of the Seven Gables?)
>
>One doesn't know. You put a namer dot immediately (no space) before
>the first letter of the name, but there's no indication of the end.

A deficiency that requires fixing.  I propose using a second namer
dot to end the proper noun word/phrase.  (This can be syntactically
processed in the same way that COBOL understands character strings
that are enclosed with the old, 7-bit ASCII double-quote mark.  That
character set did not have both opening double quote and closing
double quote.)  What ISO standardization committee for Shavian script
should I submit my proposal to?

>Example in transliteration (made up; "SPC" = space):
>
>  p r @ f E s @ SPC NAMER-DOT h E n r I SPC h I g I n z SPC I z SPC @
>SPC p r I g PERIOD
>
>I.e., "Professor Henry Higgins is a prig." (With proper R-less
>pronunciation of "Professor", of course.)
>
> > Are book titles, etc. italicized?
>
>I don't know, but I suspect so. IIRC, _Androcles_ uses italics for emphasis.

What would italic for, for example, an already-slanted letter
like  /w/  or  /m/  look like?!

> >             What is the equivalent of CMS or MLA for Shavian?
>
>I don't know of any. I should add that I learned Shavian in my teens
>and have never been heavily involved with it.
>
>Mark

Joel