Is twitter changing English?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 19 03:11:29 UTC 2009

At 11/18/2009 09:58 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>There were horse operas in the 1630's and 1640's?! Or was there some
>other method by which the peasantry were exposed to this usage?

Well, from a little later (1728), in "The Beggar's Opera" when
Macheath is reprieved the messenger bringing the pardon rides in upon
a horse -- at least in "The Threepenny Opera" version I saw in New York.

But you're right about the 1630's and 40's -- there wouldn't have
been horse operas until the Restoration.  The OED's earliest "invite,
n." dates from 1659 -- not too far off. :-)

Joel