Obama respelled

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 19 12:02:58 UTC 2009

>From the link below we get:

"US President Barack Obama will make his first visit to China from November 15-18. To mark the occasion, he's changing his name.
"Obama" is transliterated in the Chinese press as 奥巴马 (à obāmǎ), but a promotional poster distributed yesterday by the US Embassy uses 欧巴马 (ōubāmǎ). Today's Mirror ran a detailed look into the situation:
A Mirror reporter learned from the US Embassy that the use of ōubāmǎ was due to the fact that the transliteration was closer to the English pronunciation than à obāmǎ, which has long been used in the Chinese media."

This shows the need for truespel.  I can't interpret the phonetic spellings above.  I assume our presidents name is pronounced oh-BAH-muh as we've all heard a million times.  In truespel ~Oebbaamu (stress after a double consonant).

The US Embassy uses ōubāmǎ.  Why the "u"?  The macron over the first "a" looks like it should be "bay" instead of "bah".

All young Chinese students are learning English as a second language.  They need truespel to show English phonetics in an English friendly way.  Whoever first put letters to Chinese did them no favors.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling