-er(s) in the Times

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Nov 22 05:35:44 UTC 2009

--

I guess it's derogatory if it's used derogatorily. "Flat-earther" is
generally derogatory because "flat-earthism" is generally derogated, I

What of formally comparable terms such as [opposed] "big-bangers" and
"steady-staters" (in casual discussions of astrophysics), or
"Copenhageners" and "many-worlders" (in casual quantum mechanics)? Me, I
don't see any 'derogatory' influence of the "-er" in such cases. It's
just a little bit casual, I guess.

-- Doug Wilson