Now, how many ... (was careen vs. career)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 29 00:25:05 UTC 2009

If I meant something like "swerve violently," I'd always use "careen."  If I
meant "rush headlong," I'd probably use "career" in writing but something
else entirely in speech - something like "rush headlong."

JL

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Now, how many ... (was careen vs. career)

> I would use careen in conversation and writing.
>
> The word careen is of special interest to me as I was caught writing "the
> dolls careened off the shelves" not too long ago. FWIW, BB
>
> On Nov 28, 2009, at 3:52 PM, David Barnhart wrote:
>
> > How many would use _career_ over _careen_ in conversation, given the
> > closeness of their meanings?

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"