Origins of "soft core," "Yippies," "Twinkie defense"

Mon Nov 30 20:06:30 UTC 2009

Krassner is a prankster, a satirist, and a media manipulator. That is
the point of these three terms. The creation stories behind these
terms are also part of the artistry of construction.

Here is another entertaining account about the creation of "yippie"
from Coco Pekelis in 2001:

http://www.gadflyonline.com/best_of_2001/MONDAY-ISSUES/abbie-hoffman.html

All this prankishness came together on New Year’s Day 1968 when,
according to most accounts, Abbie, Jerry Rubin and Paul Krassner,
along with Abbie’s wife Anita and Jerry’s girlfriend, Nancy Kunshen,
met in Hoffman’s apartment and invented Yippie! My wife, Coco Pekelis,
was there (when the assembled radicals are named, she is usually
described, if at all, as "an unidentified girl"). Here’s her account:
…

I do remember everybody just sort of coming up with the word Yippie in
a sort of group jam session. Just fooling around with words, saying
hippie, then hip-hip hooray, then dippie and kippie and zippie, till
we finally landed screaming and laughing on Yippie! Just silliness
really, Abbie coming up with the idea of running a pig for President
(nothing to do with cops being called pigs, as I recall, just the most
absurd image he could think of).