vook (video + book)

Thu Oct 1 14:20:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

> At 8:12 AM -0500 10/1/09, Dennis Baron wrote:
> >I saw that, and wondered how to pronounce it?
> >Does it rhyme with book? (I know, cook, look,
> >took, rook). Because for some reason my initial
> >response was to rhyme it with spook or nuke.
>
> I'm sure it's "vook".

"Vook" is pronounced like "vook"? You don't say! :->

The blog Name Wire says:

---
http://www.namedevelopment.com/blog/archives/2009/04/taking_a_look_a.html
It may be ground breaking technology, but the name itself just doesn't fit.
Vook is supposed to be pronounced like "book," which rhymes with
"look," but is more naturally pronounced similarly to "kook." That
slight differentiation may be a brand killer.
It just sounds wrong.
---

--Ben Zimmer