Query About Etymological Discoveries

Mon Oct 5 21:22:33 UTC 2009

> A very interesting item! Is there any significant extended context?
>
> In particular: is it entirely certain what "hooker" meant in this item
> (aside from "Hook denizen", I mean)?

If I recall, the story wasn't detailed.  At the time, and up into the 20th C, it was permissible to arrest someone for being a "disorderly person" or a vagrant, living without visible means of support.

I think that in the early 19th C, the NYC waterfront east of the Battery -- where the Seaport Museum and the Brooklyn Bridge are now -- was the stretch where deep-water sailing vessels put in, and where the ship-building industry was centered.  Corlaer's Hook was the Sailortown, where the gin mills and brothels were, and the sailors' boarding houses.

To digress a bit: The cops raided a den of iniquity, and arrested the proprietor for keeping a disorderly house.  His defense was, that his place wasn't disorderly, because it was patronized by respectable people.  The judge said, that the people who patronized a disorderly house were disorderly people, and therefore the people who frequented his house were disorderly, not respectable, and therefore his house was a disorderly house, because it was frequented by disorderly people.  Pay the clerk your $50 fine, and don't let me see you in here again.

>What about another Hook in NYC?  Red Hook is a neighborhood in Brooklyn, on the waterfront of the
>Upper Bay just south of the tip of Manhattan

Red Hook was a Sailortown when my father was a merchant seaman, and working in the rum-fleet, but in the 1830s Brooklyn may have still been a village, and I doubt that Red Hook would have been a part of the port or that New Yorkers (i. e., Manhattanites) would be much concerned with whatever lewdness might have gone on there.

GAT

George A. Thompson