"Murphy's Law" antedating 1943

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Oct 6 13:48:12 UTC 2009

Seeds of Hope: an Engineer's World War II Letters,
By William O. Sabel (West Lafayette, Ind. : Purdue University Press, 1999).

page 99 [letter date]:
March 26, 1943

page 100:
" My platoon is busy building a warehouse at the Air Force Supply Depot
[in the
Pacific campaign] We also put up a steel Quonset hut 20 X 100 feet and poured
the concrete floor today....I feel if I am not personally watching every move
the men make, something will go wrong and it usually does--Murphy's Law. They
can't look ahead and see the consequences of their present actions."

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson