interim comment on "Murphy's Law" antedating 1943

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 8 14:45:25 UTC 2009

Bear in mind too that if Sabel himself retyped the letters for publication,
it wouldn't be remarkable for him to add, on the spur of the moment,
the retrospective phrase "Murphy's Law" to sum up the idea that "something
may go wrong and usually does."

As a normal human, he couldn't have imagined that pedants would focus on
this.

By the by, one of my earliest TV memories is the introduction to the
syndicated kid's show "Magic Cottage," I'd say in 1953. It contained the
words, "where anything can happen - and most everything does!"  My small
brain thought that was so great!  Of course, at that age I couldn't see the
ominousness behind the notion....

JL

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: interim comment on "Murphy's Law" antedating 1943

> Jesse's comments seem largely sound to me, but I wonder whether part of his
> reasoning is problematic.  What I mean to say is, giving a proverb a name
> without explanation seems natural to us now, but maybe that is because we
> already are familiar with Murphy's Law, the Peter Principle, Parkinson's
> Law, and other humorous named "laws."  Parkinson's Law (1955) and Murphy's
> Law (not at all widespread before the 1950s as far as we know) were probably
> the first prominent humorous named "laws," so in 1943 it might not have been
> natural to name a proverb in this way.
>
> Fred

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"