"You got a mouse (etc.) in your pocket?"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 8 16:40:05 UTC 2009

At 9:32 AM -0400 10/8/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Probably of little interest, but the one and only time I heard this
>expression was in 1974 from a fellow graduate student. He was from El
>Dorado, Ark., and had learned the phrase in the '60s - IIRC.
>
>JL

And was it really Mark Twain who came up with the version that
permits kings, editors, and those with tapeworms to use the first
person plural?  Or is that a case of generalized attribution?  (Sorry,
Fred, I don't have a YBOQ handy.)

LH