Portuguese language changes

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 8 19:40:13 UTC 2009

I've *never* heard this word spoken and, until this thread, had never
noticed that it was spelled dia_e_resis and not di_a_resis. Good thing
that I've never had occasion to write it or speak it. Though, if I
*did* have occasion to say it, I'd *still* say [,daI@'risIs],
irrigardless of what inty (the pronunciation of "*any*" in BE)
dictionary says.

-Wilson

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Portuguese language changes
>
> At 5:38 AM -0700 10/8/09, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:
>>On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 01:42:58 Zulu + 0000 Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
>>wrote:
>>
>><quote>
>>diaeresis has two pronunciations
>>=20
>>in UK    die-AIR-ih-sis  ~die"airisis
>>in USA   die-uh-REE-sis  ~die'urreesis
>>
>>as per thefreedictionary.com
>></quote>
>>
>>I trust the editors of thefreedictionary were just having a little
>>fun, as the supposed USA pronunciation is actually that for the word
>>"diuresis".
>>
> I've only ever heard the former pronunciation and that's the only one
> listed in AHD4, but I suppose the latter could be an actual spelling
> pronunciation, and I imagine the context would usually disambiguate.
> And as we know, some people pronounce it ['Umlaut].
>
> LH

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain