Cure for Bad Language

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 9 02:40:24 UTC 2009

Yeah, ISTR reading about that stuff but the implications didn't fully sink
in. I think it may have been publicized during the Cummins Prison Farm
expose' around 1970.  Maryland, of course, despite being North of D.C., was
a slave state right to the end.  When (white) troops from Massachusetts
marched through Baltimore at the beginning of the Civil War, a mob stoned
them.

Flogging was abolished in the U.S. Navy and Merchant Marine in 1850, but not
till 1862 in the Army and Marines. Figure that one out!  Of course it was
only for enlisted men.
Almost as soon as the practice was gone, Congressmen were writing bills to
have it reintroduced.

Even in World War I, British soldiers could still be "crucified" on a wagon
wheel for many hours for drunkenness.

"The Good Old Days": there weren't any!!!

JL