saying "umlaut" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Oct 9 20:50:49 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      saying "umlaut"

> --------
>
> Interestly "umlaut" has multiple pronunciations.
>
> At forvo.com, enter "umlaut", click on the resulting first word (not
> arrow), see three pronunciations:

Is this evidence that "umlaut" does, in fact, have three different
pronunciations, or that forvo.com was able to recruit three yahoos to
speak a word two of whom didn't know how to pronounce properly?

> 1  ~oomlout (where ~oo is as in "good" ~ou as in "out", spoken by
> topquark
> 2. ~oomlou' (where "t" is dropped or glottalized) spoken by threb
> 3. ~oomllaat  (stress second syl, with ~aa as in "Saab", spoken by
> Olbill.
>

> It's pretty rare in English to have a word start with ~oo.

Oops, Tom, I think you've made a mistake there.  There's oodles and
oodles of such words.  My cousin, who lives in Ooltewah TN, could
probably tell you some, over a cup of oolong tea (she makes it strong --
it packs an oomph, and just oozes flavor); or if you like a stronger
beverage, a cup of ouzo.  Don't make her mad, though, or she'll shoot
you with her Uzi (she bought it in Uzbekistan from an Uzbek).  She's an
Ouspenskian philosopher, and wrote her thesis on the worm Ourobouros.

(I really do have a cousin that lives in Ooltewah.  The rest is BS . .
.)