saying "umlaut" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 10 02:41:23 UTC 2009

 <200910092051.n99ApiPh029132 at malibu.cc.uga.edu>

I maintain that there are few words that start with short oo (as in good ho=
ok).  In the paragraph below I wonder which are the long oo's (~ue as in tr=
ue) and short oo's (~oo as in good) as the first vowel in certain words.  I=
'll check the how the speakers say it in thefreedictionary.com
=20
Oops=2C Tom=2C I think you've made a mistake there. There's oodles andoodle=
s of such words. My cousin=2C who lives in Ooltewah TN=2C couldprobably tel=
l you some=2C over a cup of oolong tea (she makes it strong --it packs an o=
omph=2C and just oozes flavor)=3B or if you like a strongerbeverage=2C a cu=
p of ouzo. Don't make her mad=2C though=2C or she'll shootyou with her Uzi =
(she bought it in Uzbekistan from an Uzbek). She's anOuspenskian philosophe=
r=2C and wrote her thesis on the worm Ourobouros. (I really do have a cousi=
n that lives in Ooltewah. The rest is BS . ..)
=20
1.  oops  ~ueps
2.  oodles  ~uedools  (strangely said with an ending ~s not ~z) ~ool as in =
wool
3.  ooltewah  ?
4.  oolong  ~uelaang  (awe-dropping speaker says ~laang but should be ~laun=
5.  oomph  ~uemf
6.  ooze  ~uez
7.  ouzo   ~uezoe
8.  uzi   ~uezee
9.  Uzbekistan  ~Uezbbekistan
10.  Uzbek   ~Uezbak
11.  Ouspensky  ~Uesppenskee
12.  ourobouros  ?
=20
All these words as I hear them in thefreedictionary.com start with long oo =
(~ue) as in "food" not short oo (~oo) as in "good".

Tom Zurinskas=2C USA - CT20=2C TN3=2C NJ33=2C FL7+
see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> Date: Fri=2C 9 Oct 2009 15:50:49 -0500
> From: Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL
> Subject: Re: saying "umlaut" (UNCLASSIFIED)
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------=
------
> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
> Poster: "Mullins=2C Bill AMRDEC"=20
> Subject: Re: saying "umlaut" (UNCLASSIFIED)
------

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE

=0A=
Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft=92s powerful SPAM protection.=0A=
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/=