*correction* "Murphy's Law" 1943, not

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 15 19:26:51 UTC 2009

At 10/15/2009 09:37 AM, ronbutters at AOL.COM wrote:
>But the books that have pdf access also invariably have title pages
>with publication dates.

There are rare cases where more than one book has been scanned into
one file.  (I encountered one such case myself, but unfortunately did
not keep track of it.)  This can probably -- perhaps always? -- be
uncovered by checking the page and the pagination.  In my case, the
page number that Google gave me did not contain the text it
promised.  The running header suggested some other book entirely, and
I found what I wanted as the second book in the file, with its own
title page.  Selecting pages judiciously (such as via a binary
search) revealed the two paginations, and led me (eventually) to the
proper title page and desired text page.

Joel