*correction* "Murphy's Law" 1943, not

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 15 19:33:49 UTC 2009

At 10/15/2009 01:45 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Another problem with GB:  sometimes the cite's there and sometimes it isn't.
>About fifteen minutes ago I saw in pdf an example of "zorch" in Life
>magazine from 1953.  Fourteen minutes later it was unrecoverable.

And I thought anything written to the web remained there forever!  Or
is that only true of the scurrilous?  :-)

>I've already noted the problem of known occurrences not showing up at all,
>those these are *presumably* only in non-full-view sources.

Even in sources pretending to be full-view there can be false
negatives.  To mention the obvious, Early American Newspapers won't
find a lot that is truly present.  (I speak from experience, having
read some paper -- or rather, microfilm.)

Joel