Befitting names redux

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 19 00:13:18 UTC 2009

For an essay on negation I wrote awhile back as an introduction to a
reissue of my _Natural History of Negation_, I had occasion to cite a
New York Times article about Ms. Prophet that dealt with her
contributions to the study of negation; cf.
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/24/us/guru-s-bomb-shelter-hits-legal-snag.html.
The relevant passage, constituting what *may* be (but of course may
not be) the only discussion of Ms. Prophet's work in a linguistics
publication, reads as follows:

On April 23, 1990, just over a year after the first release of NHN,
Elizabeth Clare Prophet, a.k.a. Guru Ma, speaking on behalf of God,
prepared her disciples for "twelve years of intense negative karma"
to begin that day, a spell that would culminate with an unwelcome
visit by the four horsemen of the apocalypse, probably in the form of
a nuclear holocaust (Egan 1990).  While the leader of the Church
Universal and Triumphant opted to meet this threat by leading her 750
disciples into an immense underground shelter in Paradise Valley,
Montana that she described as "Noah's Ark in the earth" my own sense
of the upcoming dozen years of intense negative karma was much more
sanguine.  I am pleased to say in retrospect that we have indeed
emerged relatively unscathed from this twelve-year reign, and I trust
that the future of negative karma will be equally positive.

(L. Horn, _A Natural History of Negation_, p. xxxii. Reissued by
CSLI, Stanford, CA, 2001.)