ben thinking

Mon Oct 19 18:35:22 UTC 2009

Randy:
I think this varies quite a bit.  I hear [E] a lot here in Kalamazoo;
it seems to result from the same lowering part of the Northern Cities
Vowel Shift that gives you [E] in milk, pillow, as it is fostered by
a preceding labial, (as well as following /l/ in other words), and
can occur stressed.  i have [I] stressed, barred capital i
unstressed, myself.  interestingly, you can sometimes get a pen/pin
merger under [E] instead of Southern [I@] in parts of Michigan and NW
Ohio.  It seems especially prevalent in Toledo and the parts of MI
adjoining it.

Yours,
Paul Johnston