OT "Windy"

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 22 08:18:55 UTC 2009

FWIW, I had a female student a few years ago whose name was Windy (not Wendy).

--- On Wed, 10/21/09, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Subject: Re: OT "Windy"
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 3:14 PM

The tradition of songs being about a person (especially a woman) and
an inanimate object (whether car, guitar, or force of nature) at the
same time is an old one, of course.  A particularly vivid (or, one
might say, outrageous) example is the Rolling Stones' song "Brand New
Car":

I got a brand new car
And I like to drive real hard
I got a brand new car
And I'm feeling good so far

Take her on the highway for a little spin
I want to see the kind of shape she's in
And I got a brand new star
Jack her up baby, go on, open the hood
I want to check if her oil smells good
Mmmm...smells like caviar