MSM. was Re: TMI

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 25 18:04:33 UTC 2009

FWIW, Wilson used "TMI" in an e-mail to a personal friend back in '06.
Later, he used this in an e-mail to Gerald "G" Cohen, wherein he did
not explain the term, assuming that G was already totally familiar
with it. Even back in '06, "TMI" wasn't new, being already so old that
Wilson has no memory of when he first encountered "TMI" used as cited
by Jon.

According to both The Judges and cop shows, a copy of an e-mail is
considered proof. He'd have posted the '06 e-mail, but for the fact
that it's in dire need of redaction, given that it contains TMI.

-Wilson

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at mst.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at MST.EDU>
> Subject:      MSM. was Re: TMI
>
> MSM? Hey, that's the former name of my institution (Missouri School of =
> Mines, which in the 1960s became University of Missouri-Rolla, which two =
> years ago became Missouri University of Science and Technology).
> =20
> The old alumni never did get over the change of name of their beloved =
> MSM.  I'm still having withdrawal symptoms from UMR.
> =20
> Gerald Cohen
>
> ________________________________
>
> Original message from Jonathan Lighter, Sun 10/25/2009 9:30 AM:
>
> CNN asks this AM whether some politician is "giving us a bad case of =
> TMI."
>
> That means "too much (disagreeable or distasteful) information."
> Nearly 100,000 RGs.
>
> Guests on the same show also spoke without explication of "the MSM."  =
> That
> means "the mainstream media," i.e., anything  other than the blogosphere =
> and
> Fox News, the marketers who popularized the phrase "mainstream media."
>
> "MSM": Three and a half millions RGs.
>
> JL

-Wilson
–––