2 thumbs up? Reachers predict by 2013 we'll all be tweeting

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Sun Oct 25 21:13:59 UTC 2009

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

2 thumbs up? Reachers predict by 2013 we'll all be tweeting

Researchers are predicting that Twitter is going global: in just four
years, everyone on the planet -- some 10 billion people -- will be
tweeting.

Writing in Seed magazine, neuroscientist Denis G. Pelli and graphic
designer Charles Bigelow (he created the Lucida font) find that the
internet has brought us to the brink of universal literacy, and we're
also fast approaching universal authorship: "Nearly everyone reads.
Soon, nearly everyone will publish."

To illustrate this writing revolution, Pelli and Bigelow have
assembled what can only be called an "authorgraph," a chart plotting
the number of book authors from the middle ages to the present, and
the far greater number of authors using new media -- blogs, Facebook,
and Twitter -- since the year 2000.

read the whole post on the Web of Language: http://bit.ly/weblan

____________________
Dennis Baron