"trouble" = to complicate; problematize.

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 26 14:25:34 UTC 2009

At 10/26/2009 10:03 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>At 9:43 AM -0400 10/26/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>Jon, did you come to praise this locution, or to bury it?  What came
>>to my mind was "troubled waters", roiled.  And the OED has "trouble,
>>v" sense 3:  "To put into a state of (mental) agitation or disquiet;
>>to disturb, distress, grieve, perplex."  That seems quite plausible
>>for your quotation.
>
>I don't see how it does.  That quite standard sense requires an
>object that's the experiencer of the trouble, hence a sentient being.
>The "problematize" sense doesn't.  It's not the politics of
>historical interpretation that is troubled/distressed/plagued here,
>but those who are trying to figure it out.

I see "the politics and ethics of historical interpretation" as being
roiled,agitated, stirred up. in the same way that troubled waters are
roiled.  The subject (the politics) stands for the people who interpret.