"conspiracy theory" antedating

Tue Oct 27 15:06:44 UTC 2009

Great citations! Maybe the following from 1872 fits the definition for
an instance of "conspiracy theory" for the OED :

The nomination of Messrs. Greeley and Brown was the result of a deeply
laid, cunningly devised, plot. The secrets of the conspirators are
well kept, but enough has leaked out to show the existance of the plot
and some of the methods of its operation?. ... Assuming that our
conspiracy theory is correct, who can measure the reward, the
conspirators will claim if their plot is carried out and Mr. Greeley
is elected? Who of the honest thousands and tens of thousands, who are
supporting Mr. Greeley, will claim that he can arrest the tide of
disaster which must flow over a land cursed with an administration
based upon such a foundation as this?

Citation: Logansport Weekly Journal, Logansport, Indiana, 1872-08-31

It does seem to be "political in motivation and oppressive in intent".
But I do not know if the nomination was considered to be an
"unexplained event".