"conspiracy theory" antedating

Mark Mandel Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 27 15:18:56 UTC 2009

I don't think "unexplained" needs to be in there. ISTM that many conspiracy
theories include the assertion that "Everything you know is wrong", that a
well known and generally accepted explanation for an event is really a
cover-up promulgated by the conspirators.

Googling for /conspiracy theory/ (i.e., not in quotes) suggests as related
searches

conspiracy theory movie
conspiracy theory 9/11
conspiracy theory videos
moon conspiracy theory
ufo conspiracy theory
titanic conspiracy theory
new world order
area 51

9/11 and the Titanic disaster certainly have widely accepted explanations,
which the conspiracy theories claim to debunk. So do the assassinations of
John and Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King, and I'm sure scads of other
events I don't want to try to remember right now.

m a m