FW: Re: Antedating of "Hot Dog"--message from Barry Popik

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Oct 28 13:28:55 UTC 2009

Barry Popik sent the message below to several ads-l members this morning. He comments on Fred Shapiro's noticing of an 1893 antedating of "hot dog"  and I now share Barry's message with the entire ads-l list.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: Barry Popik [mailto:bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Wed 10/28/2009 3:18 AM
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Hot Dog"

That's pretty good.
We now have three "hot dog" citations from 1893. There's one from September 1893, from Knoxville, TN, that I posted to ADS-L.
The Miami University citation is from a college annual, published in 1893. My guess is that the material was probably written before May 20, 1893 (when the school year would have been finished).
"As they are familiarly called" means that more citations are probably on the way.
Barry Popik
Round Rock, TX
www.barrypopik.com <http://www.barrypopik.com/>
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/hot_dog_polo_grounds_myth_original_monograph/
Google Books <http://books.google.com/books?id=tToiAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA92&dq=%22hot+dog%22+date:1890-1899&lr=&num=100&as_brr=0&as_pt=ALLTYPES&ei=K0-RScGgIISUzATlpKz1CQ>
Miami University
The Recensio
College Annual
1893
Volume One
>From the Press of
The Oxford News Company
Oxford, Ohio
Pg. 92:
FAVORITE EJACULATIONS.
(...)
"Hot! Dog!"

20 May 1893, New Brunswick (NJ) Daily Times, pg. 1, col. 7:
How New Jersey Breaks the Monotony of Life.
The Frankfurter man Expelled from Asbury Park.
ASBURY PARK, May 19.-The frankfurter sausage peddler must go. This is the edict that has gone forth from the mayor and council of Asbury Park, and an ordinance has been adopted forbidding these renders within the confines of this resort by the sea. These "hot dog" peddlers, as they are familiarly called, have carried on their business uninterrupted with as much persistence and tact as their fellow merchants on Coney island. Standing in front of the hotels and on the street comers, with their cries of "All hot," they have been a familiar sight to thousands of summer visitors. Now this will be changed.

28 September 1893, Knoxville (TN) Journal, "The (They? -- ed.) Wore Overcoats," pg. 5:
It was so cool last night that the appearance of overcoats was common, and stoves and grates were again brought into comfortable use. Even the weinerwurst men began preparing to get the "hot dogs" ready for sale Saturday night.

I believe Barry Popik, as part of his magnificent researches into the history of
food terms, has traced the term "hot dog" as far back as September 1893.  The
following is a slightly earlier citation I have found:

ASBURY PARK, May 19.-The frankfurter
sausage peddler must go. This is the edict
that has gone forth from the mayor and
council of Asbury Park, and an ordinance
has been adopted forbidding: these renders
within the confines of this resort by the sea.
These "hot dog" peddlers, as they are
familiarly called, have carried on their business
uninterrupted with as much persistence
and tact as their fellow merchants on Coney
island. Standing in front of the hotels and
on the street comers, with their cries of "All
hot," they have been a familiar sight to
thousands of summer visitors. Now this
will be changed.

Daily Times (New Brunswick, N.J.), May 20, 1893, p. 1 (Newspaperarchive)

Fred Shapiro
Editor
Yale Book of Quotations (Yale University Press)=