"conspiracy theory" antedating

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 29 01:19:43 UTC 2009

The "theory of conspiracy" that is used here--an "conspiracy theory" in
some of the early cases--appears to be of the "prosecution/defense
theory" which is just legal jargon. This simply means the reconstruction
of the conspiracy that the prosecution alleges the accused have
perpetrated. I am sure going through Lexis archives will reveal some
court opinions with the same phrases. But should this not be
distinguished from the more commonly used "conspiracy theory" precisely
of the kind that suggests that an unexplained or otherwise explained
event may have a sinister hidden explanation? The sinister part appears
to have evolved with time, but even the rest of it is distinct from
legal usage of "theory".

    VS-)