"Rush Hour" & "Carnegie Hall joke" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Oct 29 06:20:38 UTC 2009

Bill Mullins said
> A variant on the "Carnegie Hall" joke that I heard growing up in Nashville:
>
> "How do you get to the Grand Ole Opry?"
>
> "Sing through your nose"

Barry Popiks website indicates that the Carnegie Hall joke is cited in
print from 1955. Below is a 1959 version of the joke about another
famous New York landmark.

Al Schacht was standing outside his New York eatery the other day when
a stranger walked over and asked: "Say, how do ya get to Yankee
Stadium?" To which Schacht replied with a straight face: "Practice,
practice, practice!" - Arthur Richman in the New York Mirror.

Baseball Digest, page 31, vol. 7, no. 10 December-January 1959.

http://books.google.com/books?id=si0DAAAAMBAJ&q=Schacht#v=snippet&q=Schacht&f=false