Q: soixante neuf (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Oct 29 23:09:03 UTC 2009

I first heard this when I was 16 (this was long after the death of the poet Byron). I never heard it used in reference to anything other than male-male oral sex. One common usage was as an insult: "Let's 69--you be the 6 and I'll be the 9." A smart-assed way of saying, "Blow me, jerk."(I assume the 9 is the one standing up.). The normal meaning, I assumed, was that this represented a view from the ceiling of two people lying on a bed. The large part of the numbers are their heads.
------Original Message------
From: Mark Mandel
Sender: ADS-L
To: ADS-L
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Q: soixante neuf (UNCLASSIFIED)
Sent: Oct 29, 2009 6:11 PM

On the meaning, I would define it not as "simultaneous cunnilingus and
fellatio", but as "simultaneous mutual oral sex". I remember hearing it with
reference to male-male pairings as well. Google /"gay 69"/ claims "about
58,200" hits; and /"lesbian 69"/ "about 128,000".

On the origin, I've always assumed it was not just from rotational symmetry
but iconic. But that's just my opinion.

m a m