Q: "jewgaged"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 30 20:25:07 UTC 2009

Also in that Randiana link, we have an instance of the rather rare
participle "jewgaged", which seems to mean something like 'sexually
aroused without satisfaction' (essentially the female equivalent of
"blue-balled"), but here used of --

=================
I felt half sorry to think that I had 'jewgaged' her. At the same
time, to parody the words of the poet laureate:

'Tis better to have frigged with one's toe,
Than never to have frigged at all.
=================

--and which appears once in this 1884 (or, according to another site,
1864) text, just shortly before the condensed history of
flagellation, and then seems essentially to have dropped out of the
language until the advent of  urbandictionary.com.   It's not in the
OED or in Farmer & Henley, which does however indirectly suggest an
origin in its derivation of another portmanteau, "jewlark" 'fool
around':  see JEW 'to delude' + LARK 'irresponsible action'. A
blogger at
http://www.erosblog.com/2009/03/20/footsie-under-the-table/ plausibly
suggests a link with such related (but historically longer-lived)
ethnic slurs as "to Welsh" and "Indian-giver".

LH